This blog is on hiatus while I take time to re-evaluate my blogging direction.

Red Velvet Cupcakes

28 October 2009

Cupcakes have begun to take over my world. As part of my recent urge to be more domestic, I've started baking again. Cupcakes are where it's at. My boys love them, they are quick and easy to make and they taste great! The best thing about them is they make people smile.



See I bet you just smiled! These were my very first attempt at a Red Velvet recipe. Red Velvet cake is a flavour that is most popular in the southern states of the USA, although with the recent cupcake boom RV seems to be almost as popular as seasoned favourites, vanilla and chocolate. RV is described best as a light chocolate cake. Every bite has just a hint of chocolate flavour.

Originally the red colour of the Red Velvet Cake was caused by a chemical reaction between the old fashioned unprocessed cocoa and buttermilk, however today most recipes call for the addition of colouring. Red food colouring is most commonly used but I have seen recipes using beets for the colour.

The recipe below is a creation of my own. I researched RVC recipes all over the web and decided to make it up as I went. They turned out beautifully, if I do say so myself.

First things first preheat our oven to 180C or 350F

Red Velvet Cupcakes

1 1/4 C Plain or Cake Flour (not self raising)
1/2 Teasp Baking Powder
1/2 Teasp Salt
2-3 Tabs Cocoa Powder
1-2 Tabs Red Food Colouring
1/4 C Unsalted Butter (softened)
3/4 C Sugar
1 Egg
1/2 Teasp Vanilla Bean Paste
1/2 C Buttermilk
1/2 Teasp Vinegar
1/2 Teasp Bi-Carb Soda (Baking Soda)

1. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa in a bowl and sift twice, set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
3. Beat in egg until well combined.
4. Add vanilla and colouring and mix well.
5. Mix in 1/3 of the buttermilk.
6. Mix in 1/3 of the dry ingredients.
7. Repeat until all the dry ingredients and buttermilk are mixed in.
8. In a small bowl, combine vinegar and bi-carb soda.
9. Fold the vinegar/bi-carb in with a spatula only.

Fill cupcake cases and bake for 20 mins or until a toothpick removes clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool for 5 mins in the pan before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

60 g Butter
150g Cream Cheese
2 1/2 C Icing Sugar
1/2 Teasp Ground Cinnamon

1. Cream together the butter and cream cheese until light, fluffy and pale.
2. Beat in cinnamon and half the icing sugar
3. Beat in the remaining icing sugar
4. Decorate you gorgeous cupcakes!

Some important notes :

* This recipe makes 1 dozen standard and 1 dozen mini cupcakes. At a guess I would say it would make 15 standard size or 36 minis.

* Experiment with the cocoa and colouring to get the right taste for you.

* Cream Cheese Frosting is more prone to melt and go gooey, so if you're in a warm climate, only frost you cakes as you eat them. You can store the frosting in the fridge for a few days. When your ready for it, let it stand at room temp for 15 mins and beat until fluffy.

* Please remember to keep your cupcake at room temp! Refrigeration changes the texture of the cake immensely. If you simply must keep them in the fridge try to let them come to room temp for 5-10 mins before consumption.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Those look delicious! Thanks for the recipe, I'll be trying it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I like your blog. I just started a new craft sharing blog http://thesemagicalyears.blogspot.com/

    is it okay for me post this tutorial with a link.
    Thanks,
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yvonne, Thanks for your lovely comment. Please feel free to link to any of current or future posts :)

    Emma

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing what you have to say. xx